Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Title: Wimps, Weaklings, and Chickens / Topic: Who God Uses

Today’s Reading: Judges 6; Judges 7; Psalm 52; 1 Corinthians 14

Scripture: Judges 6 & 7 (excerpts)
Judges 6:12-13 When the angel of the LORD appeared to Gideon, he said, "The LORD is with you, mighty warrior." "But sir," Gideon replied, "if the LORD is with us, why has all this happened to us?…
15 "But Lord , " Gideon asked, "how can I save Israel? My clan is the weakest in Manasseh, and I am the least in my family."…
17 Gideon replied, "If now I have found favor in your eyes, give me a sign that it is really you talking to me.…
23 But the LORD said to him, "Peace! Do not be afraid. You are not going to die."…
27 So Gideon took ten of his servants and did as the LORD told him. But because he was afraid of his family and the men of the town, he did it at night…
36 Gideon said to God, "If you will save Israel by my hand as you have promised…
39 Then Gideon said to God, "Do not be angry with me. Let me make just one more request. Allow me one more test…
Judges 7:10-11 “If you are afraid to attack, go down to the camp with your servant Purah and listen to what they are saying. Afterward, you will be encouraged to attack the camp."

Observation: I love the story of Gideon. It’s the story of God using a guy riddled with fear and misgivings. Gideon’s questions, objections, and doubts are repeatedly expressed even though he knows it is God’s angel who speaks to him. Again and again, Gideon raises doubts and objections. Here is a brief summary:
6:13 Gideon doubts God based on the present circumstances
6:15 “I can’t save Israel. I’m a punk from a wimpy family”
6:17 “Give me a sign that this is really God”
6:22-23 “I’m going to die because I saw an angel” (God says “not!”)
6:27 Gideon obeys, but fear causes him to hide what he is doing
6:36 “If this is true, make the fleece wet and the ground dry”
6:39 “If this is true, make the fleece dry and the ground wet!”
7:10-11 Gideon’s doubts are finally overcome by overhearing the enemies talk in fear about him

Application: God can handle our doubts and use us in spite of them. A brave person is not someone without fear, but a person who proceeds in spite of fear. I love the story of Gideon and I love to poke fun at Gideon but that’s only because I see so much of Gideon in me. And the fact that God does not zap Gideon but gently leads him and gives him what he needs to overcome his fears gives me hope! God’s greatness and loving character provides what is needed. I am greatly encouraged that God uses wimps, weaklings, and chickens. With God’s help, ordinary, fearful people can accomplish great victories.

Prayer: Thank you, Lord, that you picked Gideon and not John Wayne. Thank You for putting this story in the Bible to encourage me to see that You if You can use Gideon, You can use me too! Thank you for the reminder that it is not my ability that counts but Your ability and my availability to You that makes all the difference. Lord, use me to impact my world. With You, I am strong and I can win great victories. So be it.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is such a great Truth. The fear is caused by us looking at ourselves and our abilities in the 'natural' and knowing or believing that we don't have the power to accomplish whatever it is. But that is because WE don't! We have the Spirit and power of God within us to accomplish whatever it is! When we get past 'ourselves' and realize we are a tool and conduit for God through the Spirit, we can forge ahead in confidence!