Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Title: Think Before You Speak / Topic: Wisdom

Posting from our nation's capital, Washington DC, from May 22 through June 3.

Today's Reading: Proverbs 13; Proverbs 14; Proverbs 15; Romans 11

Scripture: Proverbs 15: 28 The heart of the righteous weighs its answers, but the mouth of the wicked gushes evil.

Observation: I just love these chapters in Proverbs. They are full of simple, yet profound, sayings. Here is one of my favorites. It tells us that the way we talk can be a measure of our righteousness/wickedness. It is good to think before you speak. It is bad to just run off at the mouth.

Application: So think before you speak. My mom has the following written in here Bible: "better to be silent and thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." It's funny, but true. The truth that Solomon communicates here is that righteous lives bear certain characteristics. Pay attention to what the characteristics of your life say.

Prayer: Lord, I ask You to give us wisdom to be wise in the way we speak. Help us to give thought to our words -- to think before we speak and to speak the words that would honor You.
This I pray in Jesus' name, Amen.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is another scripture verse in Proverbs that echoes this sentiment:"In a multitude of words, sin is not absent". How true! If we really believed that we could sin less by being quiet, there'd be a lot less talking going on. I think this includes "talking" on the internet too. One thing I love about your mother is that she can keep a confidence better than anyone I'veever met. And she only speaks when she has something of value to say. Consequently, I have learned much from my precious mother-in-law.

LaurieC said...

So true! I learned the same lesson form my dad. He was a man of very few words. We used to joke about the E.F. Hutten commercial saying , "When Blaine Johnson speaks... people listen." He didn't waste his words. If it wasn't worth saying or of value to the person being spoken to, he didn't waste his time saying it.

I can place the Bible, God's Word, in`a similar context. After all the eons of years that God has been around, we have the most important words he wants us to listen to. I love those "aha" moments I recieve when I stop... listen, and respond to what my father, God has to say to me.

Lord, help me to be always open to stop... listen and recieve your words throughout each moment of my day. Amen.

Anonymous said...

Hi! Just want to say what a nice site. Bye, see you soon.
»

Anonymous said...

Great site loved it alot, will come back and visit again.
»