Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Title: Deep Fulfillment / Topic: Ministry

Today’s Reading: 2 Kings 21; 2 Chronicles 33; John 4

Scripture: John 4:31-34
31 Meanwhile his disciples urged him, "Rabbi, eat something."
32 But he said to them, "I have food to eat that you know nothing about."
33 Then his disciples said to each other, "Could someone have brought him food?"
34 "My food," said Jesus, "is to do the will of him who sent me and to finish his work.

Observation: Jesus has been left alone for awhile as the disciples went into town to get food. While they were gone, Jesus took the opportunity to minister to a Samaritan woman who came to the well for water. As the disciples return with the food, they offer some to Jesus and the discussion recorded in the verses above ensues.

What I love about this is that Jesus tries to tell them that what happened while they were gone has been particularly fulfilling to Him, similar to eating a good meal. It has been so meaningful that He has a level of satisfaction comparable to being full after eating. They don't quite get it.

Application: Doing what God wants -- being in the right place at the right time and saying the right words to someone -- is a tremendously fulfilling experience. It doesn't fill your stomach, but it can give such a feeling of contentment and satisfaction, that eating doesn't seem so important at the moment. It is a wonderful experience.

Today I long for this experience of deeply fulfilling ministry. Lately, my own ministry has been one that has left that longing almost completely unmet. (And in my conversations with other pastors, most say the same.) It is not as though my labors have been totally unfruitful, but the sparseness of significant fruit and the sense of little or no perceptible momentum has contributed to a dearth of satisfaction on the order of what Jesus expressed.

I know that we are in a season of spiritual difficulty and warfare. May we remain faithful to the Lord's call and to continue to press on with endurance.

Prayer: Lord, I ask You to bring fruitfulness and the sense of Your touch that brings satisfaction. I want to be pleasing to You and You alone, and I ask You for the awareness that Your blessing and approval is upon me. I need a touch of Your grace. Lord, give us endurance and strength to continue regardless of the difficulties. And give us Your joy and peace and presence to make the journey not only tolerable but truly wonderful. May we walk close to You in the midst of our labors, sharing in the sense of Your presence even as we would share in the fellowship of Your sufferings. Give us Your power and perspective to continue and finish well.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

1 comment:

Cynthia Stipech said...

My dear husband,
I love your willingness to be utterly open and vulnerable as you express your heart and feelings toward God and others. I've never met a man whose integrity I admire more. I know this is a rough season for you, but I also know your wholehearted commitment to God. Much of the fruit of your labors is unseen to you. I am praying that it becomes more seen because we all need the encouragement of seeing the fruit at times. I love and respect you. My life is better for having you in it. So are the lives of our children (though I know that's not seen either sometimes) as well as the lives of many others. God bless you.