Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Title: Sold Out / Topic: Life Purpose

Today’s Reading: 1 Chronicles 22; 1 Chronicles 23; 1 Chronicles 24; 1 Thessalonians 3

Scripture: 1 Chronicles 22:1, 5, 17, 19
1 Then David said, "The house of the LORD God is to be here, and also the altar of burnt offering for Israel."...
5 David said, "My son Solomon is young and inexperienced, and the house to be built for the LORD should be of great magnificence and fame and splendor in the sight of all the nations. Therefore I will make preparations for it." So David made extensive preparations before his death...
17 Then David ordered all the leaders of Israel to help his son Solomon...
19 "Now devote your heart and soul to seeking the LORD your God. Begin to build the sanctuary of the LORD God, so that you may bring the ark of the covenant of the LORD and the sacred articles belonging to God into the temple that will be built for the Name of the LORD."

Observation: What caught my attention is David -- he is in the grip of this task: preparing for the temple construction. He wanted to build it himself but God said no. Instead Solomon will build it. But David has this vision of a great and wonderful edifice to honor God. So he dedicates himself and goes to great lengths to do all he can to make sure Solomon has every opportunity to succeed. David is doing so much to prepare for something he will never see or experience. He is a dedicated man.

Application: This level of dedication is challenging to me. Am I so gripped with the call of God and with a great purpose that I would spend my life and my treasure to promote the success of something that would not be accomplished in my lifetime. I think that each person who belongs to God must have a sense of call and destiny that exceeds his lifetime.

Prayer: Lord, I want to be in the grip of Your dream for me. Whether or not it is fulfilled in my lifetime or afterward. I choose to be sold out for You and Your purpose in my life. Strengthen me in this purpose.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments: