Saturday, September 29, 2007

Title: Not Forgotten / Topic: God's Perspective

Today’s Reading: Zechariah 4; Zechariah 5; Zechariah 6; Luke 12

Scripture: Luke 12:6-7
6 Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies? Yet not one of them is forgotten by God. 7 Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.

Observation: Jesus instructs the people to remember that God values them. Why does he take the time to do this?

Application: It is because it is easy to feel forgotten by God. Because of my earth-bound perspective, I don't see the bigger picture and I certainly often am not aware of God's concern or even awareness of me. God sometimes seems distant and unconcerned -- maybe even unaware. But Jesus tells us that this perception is mistaken. God even remembers every sparrow that falls. This is beyond my understanding. How he does it I cannot understand, but that he does it will bring me comfort if I accept it. And Jesus says that my worth to God is greater than many sparrows. So if he remembers every single sparrow, how much more does he remember me. There is an old song that says, "His eye is on the sparrow, and I know he watches me." This truth brings comfort and perspective that I need.

Prayer: Thank you, Lord, for loving me and knowing me. I am grateful that you have not forgotten me and that you will never forget me. Give me your perspective in greater and greater measure so that I will not get discouraged by how I perceive things to be. And continue to work in and through me that I may fulfill your will and purpose for my life. Without you, I am nothing. May I be full of you and walk fully in your path for me.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments: