Friday, October 19, 2007

Title: One Good Man / Topic: Goodness

Today’s Reading: Job 5; Psalm 108; Acts 10; Acts 11

Scripture: Acts 11:22-24
22 News of this reached the ears of the church at Jerusalem, and they sent Barnabas to Antioch. 23 When he arrived and saw the evidence of the grace of God, he was glad and encouraged them all to remain true to the Lord with all their hearts. 24 He was a good man, full of the Holy Spirit and faith, and a great number of people were brought to the Lord.

Observation: Barnabas is one of the unsung heroes of the Bible. He didn't write any books or perform miracles. He is someone who gets passed over when talking about the "great saints" of the Bible. But I like Barnabas. He first shows up earlier in Acts where he sells a piece of property and donates the proceeds to the church. His name, Barnabas (which means son of encouragement), was apparently a nickname given to him by the apostles.

Application: I want to be like Barnabas. Notice verse 24. "He was a good man..." We sometimes focus on the superstars, but few of us will ever be a Paul or a Daniel. But here is simply a "good man" -- that is something that just about every Christian person can be. And he was good because he was "full of the Holy Spirit and faith." People are drawn to this kind of person. I want to be a good man.

Prayer: Lord, help me to be like Barnabas. To be a "son of encouragement" in all my encounters with others.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is one goal you have reached. I, who know you best and am well aquainted with all your foibles, know that you ARE a good man. I am blessed to have you in my life. I am a better woman for having lived with you so many years (and hopefully will be blessed with many more). Thank you. Love, Cynthia