Sunday, January 20, 2008

Title: No Thanks / Topic: Boundaries

Today’s Reading: Genesis 49; Genesis 50; Psalm 8; Luke 20

Scripture: Luke 20:1-8
1 One day as he was teaching the people in the temple courts and preaching the gospel, the chief priests and the teachers of the law, together with the elders, came up to him. 2 "Tell us by what authority you are doing these things," they said. "Who gave you this authority?"
3 He replied, "I will also ask you a question. Tell me, 4 John's baptism—was it from heaven, or from men?"
5 They discussed it among themselves and said, "If we say, 'From heaven,' he will ask, 'Why didn't you believe him?' 6 But if we say, 'From men,' all the people will stone us, because they are persuaded that John was a prophet."
7 So they answered, "We don't know where it was from."
8 Jesus said, "Neither will I tell you by what authority I am doing these things."

Observation: Jesus is confronted by some of the stick-in-the-mud religious leaders playing a little game to try and protect their turf. Jesus is becoming way too popular and they need to put on the brakes, so they decide to challenge the basis of his authority. But Jesus wants no part of it and he turns it back at them with a game of his own. His question puts them in a bit of a jam and so they pass. This allows Jesus a way to just say "no" to them as well.

Application: Jesus is a great example here of not getting involved in a pointless controversy with stubborn or hardheaded people. He says, "no thanks" and sets a boundary for himself. I have learned that just because someone wants to have a certain discussion with me or challenge me on an issue, that doesn't mean I have to participate. Many times the wisest thing is to say, "no thanks."

Prayer: Lord, give me wisdom to know when to answer the objections and arguments of others and when to steer clear. I don't want to cast my pearls before swine. And, Lord, help me just steer clear of swine in general.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments: