Friday, February 15, 2008

Title: The Right Questions / Topic: Following Christ

Today’s Reading: Leviticus 25; Psalm 25; Psalm 26; Acts 22

Scripture: Acts 22:8-10
8 "'Who are you, Lord?' I asked.
"'I am Jesus of Nazareth, whom you are persecuting,' he replied. 9 My companions saw the light, but they did not understand the voice of him who was speaking to me.
10 "'What shall I do, Lord?' I asked.

Observation: Paul is unmistakingly and strikingly (literally) confronted by God. His questions demonstrate wisdom in the midst of his crisis. First, "Who are you, Lord?" Paul doesn't know who has stopped him in his tracks, but he does know one thing, it's "Lord." And once he receives the answer that this is Jesus, he asks the next logical question: "What shall I do, Lord?" If the "Lord" knocks me on my kiester, then I'd better find out what he want me to do next. There is no other response that makes sense.

Application: But in spite of this, there are many people who don't ask this second question. Having the knowledge that Jesus is Lord, they don't ask him what he wants them to do.

Bottom line: I want to be sure that this is a question that I keep asking the Lord. "What shall I do, Lord?" I never want to operate without seeking his personal guidance and direction for my life on a moment by moment basis. I only want to do what my Savior leads me to do.

Prayer: Lord help me to love thee more dearly, hear thee more clearly, and follow thee more nearly day by day.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments: