Monday, March 10, 2008

Title: The Divine Mentor / Topic: Serving God

Today’s Reading: Deuteronomy 13; Deuteronomy 14; Deuteronomy 15; Galatians 1

Scripture: Galatians 1:10-17
10 Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God? Or am I trying to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ.
11 I want you to know, brothers, that the gospel I preached is not something that man made up. 12 I did not receive it from any man, nor was I taught it; rather, I received it by revelation from Jesus Christ.
16 ...I did not consult any man, 17 nor did I go up to Jerusalem to see those who were apostles before I was, but I went immediately into Arabia and later returned to Damascus.

Observation: Paul makes quite a fuss about the fact that his ministry had it origins only with God. His was a gospel that came from God. He was not taught it by men, it was not shaped by consultations with others. It came directly "by revelation from Jesus Christ" was honed by God in solitary meditation in remote places. As a result, Paul feels beholden to no man -- he only strives to "win the approval... of God." This frees him from the tyranny of popularity, that is, being subject to the winds and whims of public approval.

Application: What freedom there is for Paul in having only one master. And what power in having a direct connection with God. So many people come to God through others and never get beyond that. Their faith is a second-hand faith that relies heavily upon those who brought the Gospel to them. But the true point of the Gospel is to bring people to the cross where they can get to know, in the deepest sense, God himself through Jesus Christ. Their connection is direct, their relationship is first-person, and this results in a strong, deep bond, not easily broken. The function of others is to reinforce and encourage this bond, but others do not provide the bond and others cannot destroy it. When I understand this, God himself becomes my mentor. We see this with Paul. And when we have it ourselves, what strength and security we have -- and what opportunities for growth into maturity. Those who are too dependent on others can too easily slip away from God.

Prayer: I want to know YOU, Lord, in the fullness of who you are. You are the only one who has the goods that I must have. Thank you for those who help and support and encourage me as I follow you. But I thank you that my relationship with you does not rely on them. I have an anchor: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, that holds my life fast upon the solid rock no matter what storm may come. Thank you for the direct bond that you have given me and help me to strengthen in all my days and in all my ways.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments: