Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Title: The Leader's Thankless Lot / Topic: Leadership

Today’s Reading: Judges 11; Judges 12; Psalm 50; 2 Corinthians 1

Scripture: Judges 12:1-3
1 The men of Ephraim called out their forces, crossed over to Zaphon and said to Jephthah, "Why did you go to fight the Ammonites without calling us to go with you? We're going to burn down your house over your head."
2 Jephthah answered, "I and my people were engaged in a great struggle with the Ammonites, and although I called, you didn't save me out of their hands. 3 When I saw that you wouldn't help, I took my life in my hands and crossed over to fight the Ammonites, and the LORD gave me the victory over them. Now why have you come up today to fight me?"

Observation: Jephthah has been sought out to fight against Israel's enemies and he has won a great victory. Sadly, he made a rash vow which brought him great sorrow. (Read about this in the previous chapter.) Now, on top of that heartache he is threatened with death by his fellow Israelites from the tribe of Ephraim. Why? Because he didn't get their help in the battle. I can't quite figure out this logic: "Congratulations on defeating our enemies. We wanted to help you fight. But we didn't get to. So now we are going to kill you!" With friends like these who needs enemies.

Application: Leadership is tough. Those brave souls who stepped forward to lead Israel as judges had a difficult job. Not only did they have to fight against Israel's enemies, but, more often than not, they had to defend themselves from attacks by their own countrymen. And being a church leader today has similar situations. The key is to remember who it is that I am serving. I am serving the Lord. If I please him, that is all that matters. If I displease him, nothing matters.

Prayer: Lord, thank you that you have called me to your service. Give me strength, determination, and stamina to stay strong and stay sweet as I serve by leading your people. And I thank you for those faithful ones who stand by me in love and loyalty, no matter what. Give them a special blessing for their service.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments: