Saturday, November 05, 2011

Title: It's One or the Other / Topic: Single-mindedness

Today’s Reading: Job 28, 29; Galatians 1, 2


Scripture: Galatians 2:10

Am I now trying to win the approval of human beings, or of God? Or am I trying to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ.


Observation: Paul is writing to confront the Galatians because they have veered away from the faith that Paul had delivered to them. They have been led onto a wrong path by false teachers and Paul is trying to persuade them to get back.

In verse 10, Paul makes a statement in his own defense that caught my heart. He points out a dichotomy: you can please people or you can please God -- it's one or the other. And he makes a strong definitive declaration. "If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ." Serving Christ and trying to please people are mutually exclusive.


Application: This is something I personally have to contend with on a regular basis. Likely rooted in my own insecurities is my hunger to be considered important in the eyes of others. Paul says this is inconsistent with being a servant of Christ. Here's what I believe on the subject: If you please God, it doesn't matter who you displease and if you displease God, it doesn't matter who you please.


Prayer: Lord I want to be single-minded in my pursuit of pleasing and serving you and you alone. Help me to find my security in your approval. I am your servant.

This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

1 comment:

mzdianna said...

Oh, what an excellent reminder! I think all of us struggle with wanting to please others in some shape or form. It is comforting to be reminded that God's opinion is the only one that matters.

Dianna