Friday, March 24, 2006

Title: The Athlete / Topic: Spiritual Life

Today’s Reading: Joshua 18; Joshua 19; Joshua 20; 1 Corinthians 9

Scripture: 1 Corinthians 9:26-27
Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.

Observation: Sounds like a fight is going on! Notice the action words: run, running, fight, beating. Here is a picture of some intense action. Paul speaks of the Christian life as an athletic event. So things we relate to athletic activity, we can apply to the Christian life: training, discipline, hard work, preparation, injury and healing, weight training, cardio workouts, competition, etc. In this passage, Paul emphasizes goal setting and purposeful training. He is not “like a man running aimlessly.” In other words, he has a goal he is pursuing. And he’s not “like a man beating the air,” so he’s not shadow boxing. No, he has a real opponent. So he tells us of his dedicated and difficult training regimen: “I beat my body.” He is hard on himself. And the purpose is so that his body serves his goal rather than his goal being subject to his body. “I beat my body and make it my slave” is how he puts it. The last part of this passage is startling because in it he indicates that he does not consider himself guaranteed into the winners’ circle. And I don’t think he’s worried about not winning first place. He says “disqualified for the prize.” I take that to mean that he's concerned he may be disallowed from the reward ceremony which is heaven! And it shocks me that Paul would think that. But, apparently, this possibility is a big part of what motivated Paul to stay in shape spiritually and to not give up his training.

Application: We have much to learn from Paul. Do I think of my Christian life as an athletic event? Or is it a leisurely stroll? Do I have a spiritual goal like an athlete who works hard toward weight or time targets? Or do I just go with the flow? Do my activities all work toward one purposeful direction in my life? Or am I often scattered and distracted? Am I disciplined toward a destiny? Or am I satisfied with “whatever”? Does my motivation contain a fearful consequence of failure? Or am I just naively ambling about? I have much to learn from Paul. I need work on: goal setting, my attitude, my work ethic, my focus, my thought process, my training, my motivation, my lack of intensity, my passion.

Prayer: Lord, I have been lax. Thank You for Paul and for his challenging lifestyle. I want to emulate his dedication and relentless pursuit of You and Your kingdom. Help me to implement the disciplines and endure the rigors of training and preparation that I may be the most effective competitor. May I never forget that the stakes are high and that eternity hangs in the balance. I am Yours. Make me the best I can be.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments: