Thursday, March 23, 2006

Title: “Yet For Us” / Topic: The Christian Distinctive

Today’s Reading: Joshua 15; Joshua 16; Joshua 17; 1 Corinthians 8

Scripture: 1 Corinthians 8:6 yet for us there is but one God, the Father, from whom all things came and for whom we live; and there is but one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things came and through whom we live.

Observation: We as Christians are called to live differently. Here, Paul makes a statement that is easy to breeze past as he makes his main point. Let's stop and pay attention. The first phrase “yet for us” is the preamble which draws our attention to the fact that there is to be a contrast between us and those who possess many “gods and lords” (vs.5). Paul states that in distinction to those who have many, we have “one God” and “one Lord.” What caught my eye were the differences between the words Paul used to describe the Father and Jesus Christ:

one God - vs - one Lord
the Father - vs - Jesus Christ
from whom all things came - vs - through whom all things came
for whom we live - vs - through whom we live

What are we to take from this?

Application: “Yet for us…” We are to live with focus. Let me list the points and comment on them phrase by phrase:

1) “one God” [not a multitude of gods to distract],
2) “the Father” [a paternal and loving relationship],
3) “from whom all things came” [the Source of all being],
4) “for whom we live” [this follows as a natural conclusion to 1, 2, and 3 above. It only makes sense to live for this one loving and exclusive Source.],
5) “one Lord” [the one to serve and submit to as my Leader],
6) “Jesus Christ” [the Savior, the Name above all names, the only Name by which anyone can be saved],
7) “through whom all things came” [He was the vehicle of creation. "Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made." John 1:3],
8) “through whom we live” [While we live for the Father, we live through Jesus Christ. It is He who took our sin, guilt, and shame, and Who imparts to us His righteousness and standing as the Heir to the Father by the new covenant. “I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.” Galatians 2:20]

I must reckon myself holy (that is, set apart) from the rest of the world with a single focus based on Whose I am — I belong to the one true God: Father, Creator, Source, Reason for living, and the one true Lord: Jesus, Savior, Word of God, and Power for life. My life must be distinctive and that distinctiveness should be obvious to all who observe.

Prayer: Lord, help me to keep my focus sharp. I confess that I can be easily distracted by the many voices and messages clamoring for my attention. But I ask You to be my one exclusive Source and Focus. I need Your help and reminders to stay on the bulls eye. I want to and I will walk in Your strength to please You — and to become all You want me to be.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments: