Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Title: The Night Crew / Topic: The Invisible Realm

Today’s Reading: Ezekiel 47; Ezekiel 48; Luke 2

Scripture: Luke 2:8-9
8 And there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks at night. 9 An angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified.

Observation: These shepherds are out at work, minding their sheep and minding their own business. Then God shows up -- an impressive angelic image and the glow of God appear out of the darkness -- and they are freaked out. The text tells us "they were terrified." Of course, we now know that the angels were there to announce the birth of Jesus. But the shepherds first response was fear.

Application:
#1 You never know when God will show up. These shepherds were the night crew. They were the last ones hired, or they drew the short straw. In any event, all the preferred shepherds had gone home for the night to be with their families and these guys were stuck watching the sheep all night long out in the fields. The last thing they expected was an angel to show up. You never know when God will show up.

#2 "...and they were terrified." I often think how great it would be to see the Lord or to see an angel, but the first reaction would inevitably be shock -- terrifying and overwhelming. That's pretty much the universal reaction I find in the Bible whenever someone sees and angel: people are afraid. The truth is that while I believe in the invisible realm, with angels and demons and all, I have only a vague idea of what is actually going on. And were I to actually be in the middle it, it would be a real shock. I will see it and I will be shocked, but I will adjust and eventually get comfortable with it. In fact, I will be able to operate in that realm as will all of God's people. (The truth is, we are supposed to be operating in that realm through spiritual warfare now.)

Prayer: Lord, You and Your forces are working behind the scenes on behalf of Your children. Thank You. Help me to function with positive power in the spiritual realm. Help all Your people to get the vision for interacting with the spiritual realm to make things happen. Show me how -- teach me, Lord. And help me to be ready whenever You show up.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

1 comment:

Cynthia Stipech said...

Our paintings of angels tend to make us think of them as sweet-looking beautful child-like creatures that are harmless. The reality presented in the Bible presents them as glorious but rather frightening looking, almost like alien monsters (Ezekiel's vision of beings with 6 wings, covered in eyes and four faces is an example). I'm glad reading the Bible at least somewhat prepares us for the time when we will see these awesome creatures.