Sunday, December 17, 2006

Title: Great Gifts / Topic: God's Grace

Today’s Reading: 2 Peter 1; 2 Peter 2; 2 Peter 3; John 1

Scripture: 2 Peter 1:3-4
3 His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness. 4 Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature and escape the corruption in the world caused by evil desires.

Observation: What a wonderful God we serve! Here, Peter tells us that we have been given great gifts. Gifts that we were given freely and which guarantee that we have "everything we need for life and godliness." Included are "very great and precious promises" to enable us to "participate in [God's] divine nature and escape the corruption in the world..."

Application: It is so important to keep these things in mind. I have a tendency to sometimes get focused on what I don't have and I can forget the fantastic blessings that I do have. I can actually forget that I have been given everything I need for life and Godliness and I can forget the "great and precious promises." That's one reason I need to stay in the word -- to remind myself of God's great blessings to me.

Bottom line: We've been given so much. Remember the gifts of God and live a life of thanksgiving and joy -- a life worthy of the great God we have the privilege of serving.

Prayer: Thank You, Lord for Your great gifts. Help me to walk in full awareness of what You have given me. And help me make full proof of the gifts that You have placed in my life.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

1 comment:

Cynthia Stipech said...

What you say is so important to having a happy life. When we focus on what we don't have it creates an entitlement mentality that causes one to be eternally discontented.