Monday, February 05, 2007

Title: The Hard-To-Keep Promise / Topic: God's Values

Today’s Reading: Exodus 39; Exodus 40; Psalm 15; Acts 12

Scripture: Psalm 15:4
...who keeps his oath
even when it hurts...

Observation: This is one part of the description of a blameless person, that is a person whom God can accept. I like this part because it talks about the value of keeping your word. When I make a promise, I must keep it, even if the situation has changed and it is not easy to keep it.

Application: I think that today people don't make keeping their word much of a priority. Lots of things are said with no intent to follow through and if the intent is there but things change, no big deal. With the believer, it must be different. We must speak carefully and keep our word, no matter what.

Prayer: Lord, help me to be a man whose word is my bond and whose word is reliable. May I keep all my promises. Help me to honor You with the words I speak and the way I follow them up.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

1 comment:

Cynthia Stipech said...

I am so glad that I can count on God to keep his Word no matter what. I want to be a reflection of him in this way. To be successful in doing so means I must not speak without thinking through the ramifications of what I'm saying. Too often I have said something that sounded good at the tiome but created problems for me in the follow through. To the person to whom I have given my word, I come off as a liar if I don't follow through. I certainly don't mean to lie, but that is the impression it leaves with others. I think if we really took that scripture tpo heart it would mean we would talk a lot less.