Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Title: The Purchase And The Gift / Topic: Victorious Living

Today’s Reading: Joshua 9; Joshua 10; Joshua 11; 1 Corinthians 6

Scripture: 1 Corinthians 6:19-20
19 Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; 20 you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body.

Observation: I notice that in these verses there is a purchase and a gift.

First the purchase: I was bought at a price -- that is, Jesus gave His life to buy me. But it is not like buying a slave at the auction block. No, He redeemed me from slavery and purchased my freedom at the cost of His own freedom. The price paid is His life. Because that is the price He paid, it tells me that this is the value He placed on me. That's amazing.

The gift is the indwelling Holy Spirit. My body is a "temple of the Holy Spirit." After God purchased me and I, by an act of my will, concurred with His purchase, God gifted me with Himself within me. The gift is as important as the purchase because it is the gift that allows me to live as the property of God, in His character and image and likeness. The gift is the empowerment to realize the potential of the purchase.

Application: We have so much to be thankful for and so much potential of which we are not fully cognizant. Having this awareness can help me to prompt myself with the empowerment that is truly mine. The saddest possibility is that a purchased person would continue living like a slave because they were unaware of the rights and privileges available to them through the gift.

Prayer: Lord, I am choosing to live up to Your potential more and more. Assist me to fully utilize the power and giftedness You have entrusted to me.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments: