Monday, April 30, 2007

Title: Innocent But Dead / Topic: Leadership Responsibility

Today’s Reading: 2 Samuel 6; 1 Chronicles 13; Psalm 68; Matthew 17

Scripture: 2 Samuel 6:6-7
6 When they came to the threshing floor of Nacon, Uzzah reached out and took hold of the ark of God, because the oxen stumbled. 7 The LORD's anger burned against Uzzah because of his irreverent act; therefore God struck him down and he died there beside the ark of God.

Observation: This scripture always sobers me. The fact that Uzzah died because of a decision that David made does it. Uzzah innocently attempted to do something good, but it violated a sacred taboo. The ark was not to be handled. It was to be carefully moved on poles held by the Levites. Even the decision to move it by cart wasn't a willfully sinful act. It was an act of ignorance. It was careless. But Uzzah was dead, just the same.

Application: This should give every leader pause. It is possible to act with good intentions and bring damage to others. Good intentions are not enough. This is one story where David did not inquire of the Lord. He just got the idea in his head and acted. And Uzzah lost his life as a result. As a leader, I must seek God's will at all times. I must act carefully, thoughtfully and prudently. People's lives are in the balance.

Prayer: Lord, give me your wisdom and keep me focused on the proper application of your word and your principles as I exercise the privilege of leadership. Keep me from presumptive folly.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments: