Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Title: Having Everything But The Right Thing / Topic: Empty Living

Today’s Reading: Ecclesiastes 1; Ecclesiastes 2; Ecclesiastes 3; Psalm 45; Ephesians 2

Scripture: Ecclesiastes 1:17 Then I applied myself to the understanding of wisdom, and also of madness and folly, but I learned that this, too, is a chasing after the wind.

Observation: Solomon's Ecclesiastes is the testament of a sad man. God had given Solomon a gift of wisdom but he had pursued it for its own ends. Solomon forgot to pursue God, the great Giver of gifts. The end result is that everything has become meaningless to him (vs. 2). And verse 17 caught my attention. After getting so much knowledge and finding it unfulfilling, Solomon decides to widen his pursuit to the study of madness and folly! Talk about your wrong turns! No wonder Ecclesiastes is filled with so much confusion.

Application: So many people pursue things that don't fulfill. The things are not necessarily bad in and of themselves, but without God as the basis, they just don't fill the bill.

Bottom line: pursue God first. It is better to have God and nothing else than to have everything else and not God.

Prayer: Lord, all I want I find in you. Help me to keep pursuing you above all else.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments: