Monday, January 07, 2008

Title: No Cool Love / Topic: Pride

Today’s Reading: Genesis 18; Genesis 19; Psalm 3; Luke 7

Scripture: Luke 7:41-47
41 "Two men owed money to a certain moneylender. One owed him five hundred denarii, and the other fifty. 42 Neither of them had the money to pay him back, so he canceled the debts of both. Now which of them will love him more?"
43 Simon replied, "I suppose the one who had the bigger debt canceled."
"You have judged correctly," Jesus said.
44 Then he turned toward the woman and said to Simon, "Do you see this woman? I came into your house. You did not give me any water for my feet, but she wet my feet with her tears and wiped them with her hair. 45 You did not give me a kiss, but this woman, from the time I entered, has not stopped kissing my feet. 46 You did not put oil on my head, but she has poured perfume on my feet. 47 Therefore, I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven—for she loved much. But he who has been forgiven little loves little."

Observation: "He who has been forgiven little loves little." These words of Jesus speak to me. People who have gotten involved in deeply depraved behaviors are generally aware that they are "sinners." And when they come to God, they most often have a deep love and fervor for the Lord, being so grateful for the depths to which God went to save them. But many who lived "good lives" (the ones who colored inside the lines) often feel their goodness actually entitles them to God's approval -- they think they deserve God's love! What deception -- and this born of pride. The simple fact is that even the best person in the world is far removed from God's holiness. In fact, some of "the best and brightest" have so much pride that they push God away, arrogantly deeming themselves sufficient without him.

Application: Pride is truly the worst of sins and keeps many people from authentically accepting God. And many "good" people who become churchgoers or religious don't truly have a deep love for God. They like looking good and simply believe that being in church enhances that appearance.

I want to be a person who is so aware of my own neediness apart from God that I love him deeply. I want to be like this sinful woman who wasn't embarrassed to fawn over him with tears of affection and actions of love and appreciation and admiration.

Prayer: Lord, keep me from a "cool" faith. I want to be so in love with you that the show I make of my love for you could actually embarrass others. I want to love you passionately and I want to show it openly.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments: