Saturday, February 23, 2008

Title: The Nay Sayers / Topic: Critical People

Today’s Reading: Numbers 12; Numbers 13; Psalm 90; Mark 2

Scripture: Mark 2:7, 16, 18, 24
7 "Why does this fellow talk like that? He's blaspheming! Who can forgive sins but God alone?"
16 ..."Why does he eat with tax collectors and 'sinners'?"
18 ..."How is it that John's disciples and the disciples of the Pharisees are fasting, but yours are not?"
24 ..."Look, why are they doing what is unlawful on the Sabbath?"

Observation: Apparently, there are many people following Jesus whose entire motivation is to find fault with whatever He does. Their picky criticisms stick out throughout the chapter. These complainers sound like ill-mannered brats.

Application: I guess that nay sayers have been around forever and will be around forever. Jesus is the same yesterday, today, and forever, but so are the Pharisees!

Prayer: Lord help me to not pay attention to the nay sayers but to do what is right -- what You are calling me to do. And Lord, if You could either shut them up or keep them away from me, I would really appreciate it!
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

1 comment:

Cynthia Stipech said...

Amen! Unfortunately, I think God has already given an answer to your prayer and it is that if Jesus had to suffer with nay-sayers, we will too. "A student is not above his Master"; Jesus told us not to be surprised when we encountered criticism and persecution. I just want to make sure that I myself don't fall into the category of the "naysayers".