Saturday, March 22, 2008

Title: The Enemy Next Door / Topic: Spiritual War

Today’s Reading: Joshua 12; Joshua 13; Joshua 14; 1 Corinthians 7

Scripture: Joshua 13:13 But the Israelites did not drive out the people of Geshur and Maacah, so they continue to live among the Israelites to this day.

Observation: Chapters 12 and 13 of Joshua are not the kind of Bible reading that I enjoy -- they are a labor more than a joy. Nevertheless, I found this verse interesting. Here is the account of two towns that the Israelites overlooked in their battles to conquer the land. Geshur and Maacah were left intact along with their people, and, as a result, "they continue to live among the Israelites to this day."

Application: As a believer, I am engaged in a spiritual war. And throughout my life, there are battles to be fought and won. If I neglect to deal with a particular stronghold or problem area in my life, that area will remain to be a place in my life in which the rule and reign of Christ does not apply. It remains unconquered territory which my enemy still possesses within my boundaries and from which he has easy access to other areas of my life. It becomes a platform from which attacks against me can be launched.

Bottom line: Don't neglect to deal with any problem in your life. It can be tempting to not deal with certain sins because they are hard to get out or because we secretly have a certain affinity for them. But any sin neglected or glossed over will become a sore spot later. Many people who have simply covered over sin, like painting over rotten wood, have had that sin bring ruin to them later. Be relentless with sin. Get rid of it now.

Prayer: Lord, I pray for myself and any who will read this that you will remove any blinders or denial that has concealed areas where the enemy is still present in our lives. And, Father, give us determination, courage, and strength to fight the battles necessary to dislodge our adversaries and remove them completely from our lives.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments: