Monday, March 17, 2008

Title: Lock It In / Topic: Deliberate Living

Today’s Reading: Deuteronomy 32, 33, 34; 1 Corinthians 2

Scripture: Deuteronomy 32:45-47
45 When Moses finished reciting all these words to all Israel, 46 he said to them, "Take to heart all the words I have solemnly declared to you this day, so that you may command your children to obey carefully all the words of this law. 47 They are not just idle words for you—they are your life. By them you will live long in the land you are crossing the Jordan to possess."

Observation: Moses does a lot of talking in these chapters. It makes sense because he is laying the groundwork for the transition from his leadership to that of Joshua. This statement, at the end of his "song" is so important. He tells them that the words he has spoken are of great importance and that they must take them with the utmost seriousness. Note the words and phrases:
"take to heart"
"solemnly declared"
"command your children"
"obey carefully"
"all the words"
"not just idle words"
"they are your life"
And the last summary statement, "By them you will live long in the land you are crossing the Jordan to possess," implies what Moses states directly in other places: failure to follow them will bring disaster.

Application: I must take the word of God seriously, and not just the word of God, but also the words of Godly men and women, those elders that God has put in my life. I must be solemn and deliberate in making these words a priority in my life. I must take these words and lock them into my thinking. To fail to do so is to make them "just idle words" and thus endanger myself and those around me.

Prayer: Lord, help me to intentionally apply my heart and mind to the truths that you bring to me from your word and your servants. I want to live with the utmost care and diligence to give honor to you by closely following your word.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments: