Saturday, April 26, 2008

Title: Soil Analysis / Topic: Personal Evaluation

Today’s Reading: 2 Samuel 1; Psalm 140; Matthew 13

Scripture: Matthew 13:3-9
3 Then he told them many things in parables, saying: "A farmer went out to sow his seed. 4 As he was scattering the seed, some fell along the path, and the birds came and ate it up. 5 Some fell on rocky places, where it did not have much soil. It sprang up quickly, because the soil was shallow. 6 But when the sun came up, the plants were scorched, and they withered because they had no root. 7 Other seed fell among thorns, which grew up and choked the plants. 8 Still other seed fell on good soil, where it produced a crop—a hundred, sixty or thirty times what was sown. 9 He who has ears, let him hear."

Observation: This whole chapter of Matthew is marvelous! So many rich truths as Jesus teaches in parables. This parable, commonly known as the Parable of the Sower, is actually the Parable of the Soils. And when I read it, I usually think of the different people I have met over the years and how they did or did not respond to the gospel. I apply this parable to the "them." But this morning, as I read, I began to think of the soil of my own life. How receptive am I to the seed of truth that God plants in my life?

Application: That is the main point of this parable. Not to look at others and try to figure out who is what kind of soil. But to examine myself -- to do personal soil analysis to see how the seed that God is planting in my heart is doing. Is it bringing forth fruit? Or is the seed just sitting there dormant? Or has the seed been removed by forgetfulness, or inaction, or other distractions? I want to be fruitful for the Lord. I want his truth to penetrate deep into my heart and to spring forth in new life and bring forth fruit. So I must do some personal evaluation. When I read the word, I must ask myself, "How do I put this into practice?" When I hear a teaching, I must evaluate my heart: "Am I doing this or do I need to change something to begin to do this?"

Prayer: Lord, help me to be a man who is good soil for your truth -- with abundant fruitfulness evident in my life. I want to be a good place for you to plant your richest seeds of wonderful truth.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments: