Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Title: What Is God Seeking? / Topic: Worshippers

Today’s Reading: 1 Samuel 27; Psalm 141; 1 Chronicles 9; Matthew 10

Scripture: Psalm 141:2 May my prayer be set before you like incense; may the lifting up of my hands be like the evening sacrifice.

Observation: David is a worshipper. He prays to the Lord and worships as a regular and vital part of his life. David asks the Lord that his prayer would rise to God like the offering of incense in the Tabernacle and as he raises his hands in worship, that the Lord would receive it as the sacrifice offered each evening.

Application: This Psalm reminds me that our simple acts of worship have great significance to God. Last evening in our Bible study we discussed the encounter of Jesus with the Samaritan woman (aka the woman at the well). He tells her that the Lord is seeking worshipers who worship in spirit and truth. This means that our worship is sincere and comes from sincere hearts. So the Lord is looking around for those whose worship of him comes from the core of our being. David is such a person. And I want to be such a person as well. How about you? Join me in daily offering prayers as incense and lifting our hands as sacrifice to the Lord. When I do it with joy and from the heart, the Lord looks upon me and finds a worshipper that he is seeking.

Prayer: Oh Lord, gracious Father! I love you and thank you that you are looking for me -- and that you found me! May the worship and praises that I lift to you be as sweet and beautiful sacrifices that please you. May my worship be acceptable to you and may it be contagious to others who are seeking you.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments: