Friday, June 13, 2008

Title: Settle The Issue / Topic: The Heart

Today’s Reading: 1 Kings 13; 1 Kings 14; 2 Chronicles 12; Philippians 3

Scripture: 2 Chronicles 12:14 He did evil because he had not set his heart on seeking the LORD.

Observation: This is a description of King Rehoboam, King of Judah. Although he was not as despicable as King Jeroboam, King over Israel, his reign over Judah brought judgment from God. This verse is interesting because is gets to the heart of the matter. And the heart of the matter is the matter of the heart. King R did evil because his heart was "not set" on "seeking the Lord." He, at times, had good responses to God, as we read earlier in chapter 12. But because his heart was not firmly set on God, he allowed evil practices to persist in his kingdom. And the evil brought God's judgment.

Application: If I do not set my heart on seeking the Lord, my heart, and therefore my whole life, is divided. The Psalmist writes on this very subject: "My heart is set on keeping your decrees to the very end. I hate double-minded men, but I love your law." (Psalm 119:112-113) The juxtaposition of these two things: a heart that is set on God and a double minded person clearly highlights the contrast between the two. I must be determined -- I must set my heart on God -- or my future will be in doubt. James, in his epistle, gives clear instructions on how to remedy this. "Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded. Grieve, mourn and wail. Change your laughter to mourning and your joy to gloom. Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up. (James 4:7-10)

Prayer: Lord, this is how I want to conduct my life -- with a heart set on you -- seeking, hearing, following you. Keep any waver far from me. Bring to my attention any area in which I am in any way wobbly in this regard. I declare that I will serve you all of my days. Help me to stay on this solid path, dear Lord.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments: