Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Title: Still Standing / Topic: Spiritual Warfare

Today’s Reading: Song of Solomon 1; Song of Solomon 2; Song of Solomon 3; Song of Solomon 4; Ephesians 6

Scripture: Ephesians 6:12-13
12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. 13 Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand.

Observation: What important truth is communicated here! First of all, Paul assumes that we are engaged in a struggle. His purpose is to shed light on the nature of the struggle and the response we are to make, but the fact of this struggle is not in question.

Paul tells us that this struggle is not against people, but is a spiritual battle against invisible enemies arrayed against us. And the picture he paints is of a significant enemy force, with ranks and organization and effectiveness.

In verse 13, Paul instructs us what to do because of this battle and these fierce enemies. He tells us to "put on the full armor of God." First we have to do something... "put on" the armor. Second, we must have the right armor, the armor "of God." And third, we must be thorough, putting on "the full armor."

The verse continues with the phrase "so that when the day of evil comes..." Notice that it doesn't say "so that if the day of evil comes..." No, the day of evil will come -- it is certain. The only uncertainty is whether of not we will be prepared. If we have been diligent to "put on the full armor of God," we can stand, but only if we have "done everything." Notice this phrase, "when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand." The outcome of successful spiritual warfare is simply to be still standing at the end.

Application: Sometimes, if you simply survive, you are the victor! The battles we face are fierce and our enemies are strong and determined. We can get confused and see people as our enemies (and for certain, people can be used by our enemies to come against us). But we must not simply fight against the people. No, it is imperative that we recognize the power behind these attacks -- it is an invisible spiritual power. We will not be victorious by contending with man alone. We will only be victorious as we take the action of putting of the armor that God has provided for us -- the whole armor -- and then standing our ground -- doing everything possible. And if we do it all, we can be still standing at the end.

Prayer: Lord help us. Lord help me. I am still standing but I am continually taking blows. And I have seen many fall at my right hand and at my left. Teach me how to fully put on your whole armor. And teach me how to go to war in the spiritual realm so that the enemies of my soul and of your call on my life do not overwhelm me. And, Father, give us aid and support in this warfare. You are my God. It is in you that I trust. Defend me -- sustain me, o Lord.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments: