Saturday, January 31, 2009

Title: Sacred Garments? / Topic: God's Values

Today’s Reading: Exodus 28; Exodus 29; Acts 7

Scripture: Exodus 28:1-4, 39-41
1 "Have Aaron your brother brought to you from among the Israelites, along with his sons Nadab and Abihu, Eleazar and Ithamar, so they may serve me as priests. 2 Make sacred garments for your brother Aaron, to give him dignity and honor. 3 Tell all the skilled men to whom I have given wisdom in such matters that they are to make garments for Aaron, for his consecration, so he may serve me as priest. 4 These are the garments they are to make: a breastpiece, an ephod, a robe, a woven tunic, a turban and a sash. They are to make these sacred garments for your brother Aaron and his sons, so they may serve me as priests. 5 Have them use gold, and blue, purple and scarlet yarn, and fine linen.
39 "Weave the tunic of fine linen and make the turban of fine linen. The sash is to be the work of an embroiderer. 40 Make tunics, sashes and headbands for Aaron's sons, to give them dignity and honor. 41 After you put these clothes on your brother Aaron and his sons, anoint and ordain them. Consecrate them so they may serve me as priests.

Observation: Sacred garments. This is a foreign idea to me (and, I think, to most Protestant Christians today). I tend to view the idea as a type of "throw back" to dead traditions that we need not pay much attention to. But is there something to these "sacred garments" that is important? God tells Moses to have these garments made for the purpose of giving "dignity and honor" to those who would serve as priests. Apparently, to God it is important that his representatives be held in high regard, with dignity and honor. That is what God thinks. Are "dignity and honor" high on our list or do we have other ideas?

Application: "Friendly and approachable" are characteristics that I have thought are vital to the man of God. But this does not seem to line up with God's values. Perhaps my idea is just wrong. My generation has spent much energy in rejecting tradition and substituting our own values for the "old ways." I must think about this more.

Prayer: Lord, help me get to the truth and live it.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments: