Friday, August 07, 2009

Title: Give God Something To Get Excited About / Topic: Praise In Challenging Times

Today’s Reading: Zephaniah 1, 2, 3; John 9

Scripture: Zephaniah 3:16-17
16 On that day they will say to Jerusalem,
"Do not fear, O Zion; do not let your hands hang limp.
17 The LORD your God is with you,
he is mighty to save.
He will take great delight in you,
he will quiet you with his love,
he will rejoice over you with singing."

Observation: This is a message of encouragement in the midst of despair. Jerusalem is in great distress. Destruction is everywhere -- there is danger and threat from every side. The people are defeated and scattered. But the Lord says, "Do not fear, O Zion; do not let your hands hang limp." How hard it is in the midst of such great struggle to find the strength to lift our hands. Yet God tells us to do it.

Application: This has a direct application to worshiping God in the midst of trials. I see many people who allow their negative emotions (which are typically based on difficult circumstances) to determine their worship response. If things are bad, then worship is subdued -- their hands hang limp, their faces downcast, their worship is muted. If things are good, then they can worship with enthusiasm. God says, worship even when times are bad. And the result is that God shows up and joins us in worship: "He will rejoice over you with singing."

Bottom Line: If we will keep in mind that the Lord is with us, and that he is strong and mighty to save, and if we can rejoice because of our confidence in him regardless of the circumstances, we will walk with him in many more times of joyful victory. The joy of the Lord is my strength.

Prayer: Lord, You are my strength in every situation. Help me to keep my eyes on you and my hands uplifted and to give You something in my life that You can get excited about with me. Thank you, Lord, that You are looking for ways to rejoice with me and over me.

This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments: