Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Title: Lost In The Shuffle / Topic: God's Word

Today’s Reading: 2 Kings 22; 2 Chronicles 34; John 6

Scripture:2 Chronicles 34:14 While they were bringing out the money that had been taken into the temple of the LORD, Hilkiah the priest found the Book of the Law of the LORD that had been given through Moses.

Observation: Hey, let's clean out the temple. Boy, there sure is a lot of junk in here. What's this? Looks like a scroll. Should we throw it out? I don't know... I think it might me important..

It is astounding to me that the book of the Law had been lost. It just got forgotten and was in the jumbled up mess that was in the temple. Now keep in mind that there were still priests and Levites. They had time to learn to play musical instruments (vs.12). But nobody wanted the job of cleaning out the temple. And the simple fact was this: it had been such a long time since anybody saw the Book of the Law, it had been forgotten. Nobody was looking for it because nobody was even missing it.

Application: It is possible, through disobedience and neglect, to move so far away from the path that the path itself is forgotten. The word of God, which is the guide to life, and especially the guide to life for the nation of Israel, had been long neglected and shunned and, eventually, forgotten. I wonder what it was that the priests actually did and what they based their work on. If you don't have the book of the Law, which gives your job description, how do you do your job? I don't know.

Bottom Line: The point is that the word must be kept central and must be valued and a love for it must be nurtured or it is possible to move so far from its principles that the word itself can be lost in the shuffle.

Prayer: Lord, help me keep your word in clear focus and in the center of all I think and say and do and desire. And help me to live it out so others can read your word through my life.

This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments: