Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Title: A Common Enemy / Topic: Compassion

Today's Reading: Judges 19; Judges 20; Judges 21; 2 Corinthians 4

[Today's reading in Judges contains the worst of all the terrible stories in the Book of Judges. It does, however, reinforce the point I made in yesterday's journal. When people have no limits, moral confusion and the worst kind of evil can grow. Today, however, I am journaling from our New Testament reading.]

Scripture: 2 Corinthians 4:4 The god of this age has blinded the minds of unbelievers, so that they cannot see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.

Observation: We have an enemy. And it is not the people that don't accept or approve our religion. No, these people aren't bad, they are blind. And it is our enemy who has blinded them. We should not be surprised when people who don't see the light because they have been blinded act out in unsupportive or negative ways toward the things we stand for.

Application: So we have to look at those people differently. Unbelievers are not against us. They have someone against them. And it's not God -- it is satan. And because satan is against them, we need to be for them. For them with our hearts. For them with determination to portray Christ well to them. For them to give them every reason to welcome God into their lives by our interactions with them. If I will reach out positively and compassionately to those who push me away, I may be able to help dispel the darkness and help them to be open to the Lord. I need to remember that I have many things in common with these people. We have the same enemy (the devil), we have the same problem (sin), we have the same need (for transformation), we have the same One who died to bring that to us (Jesus).

Prayer: Lord, help me to look with Your love and compassion upon those who don't know You yet May I seek opportunities to bring Your light to all those around me who haven't seen the light of Your love. Help me to be a beacon of light, love, and warmth, even to those who do not seem so open to it. May You bring people to Your enlightement through me.
This I pray in Jesus' name, Amen

No comments: