Sunday, April 23, 2006

Title: Jesus Is No Beggar / Topic: The Call

Today's Reading: 1 Samuel 27; Psalm 141; 1 Chronicles 9; Matthew 10

Scripture: Matthew 10:37-39
37 "Anyone who loves his father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves his son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me; 38 and anyone who does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me. 39 Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it."

Observation: These are powerful words. So often we present the opportunity to receive Christ to people as if Jesus is begging for supporters. Here Jesus is clearly not begging. He is setting a high standard that is challenging and He is telling His followers, "Listen, if you can't put me first then you don't deserve me!" Sounds kind of harsh and demanding, don't you think? Jesus did not mess around with soft-soaping the call to follow Him. Following Jesus meant death. Death to self and even, very likely, physical death.

Application: We need to rethink the low-threshold approach to evangelism that most of us use. It's as if we have been saying, "Please accept Jesus -- He's waiting on your approval to have the privilege to serve you." Am I overstating it? I don't think so. And we need to do something to change it. We must start by evaluating our own level of commitment to Jesus -- solidify that so it measures up to the demands of scripture, then call and challenge others to this highest and most noble of destinies: to be a servant of the Living God.

Prayer: Lord, may we live to please You. Forgive us for the lax way that we have given the call. Help us to get it right, with a high calling but with the winsome grace that You offer to draw even the wounded. We want to love You more than anyone or anything else. And we want to lead others in the same. With Your help we will succeed.
This I pray in Jesus' name, Amen.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes! The call to be a Christian can be very tough when it's put to the test in the way Jesus speaks of here. It is the most hurtful kind of pain to have to stand with Jesus and see your family reject you because of that stand but God is faithful to us when we do that. Allegiance to God FIRST, above all else, is ultimately not only best for us but also for those who may reject us as well. It's the only way they get a clear witness as to the supremacy of God. And God, who is rich in mercy, often brings back our loved ones that were separated from us for a time.

Anonymous said...

This was a great message and it is very true. I believe at times people actually belive that the Lord Jesus is begging them to get the gift that he offers, and thats what he is doing is offering and people just decide not to recieve this great gift of eternal life, but not only that the joy and peace that comes along with it. The Lord had me look at this message and I seen the anointing on it right away.