Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Title: The Longing / Topic: Resting In The Lord

Today’s Reading: 1 Kings 1; 1 Chronicles 28; Psalm 91; 1 Thessalonians 5

Scripture: Psalm 91:1-2
1 He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High
will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.
2 I will say of the LORD, "He is my refuge and my fortress,
my God, in whom I trust."

Observation: This is where I want to be: dwelling in the shelter, resting in the shadow of my Lord. It is a place of safety and protection -- a sanctuary of rest and peace. How wonderful that place is. And (seemingly) how hard to find.

Application: What I mean is this: the life I live is filled with demanding details and a multitude of distractions. The idea of a place of real rest, real peace, is illusive. I know that I have "peace with God" as Paul wrote about, but the "peace of God" is harder to achieve. I think that the key is in the resting and trusting in the Lord. As Jesus said to Martha, "Martha, Martha... you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed." And I don't think it involves more effort on my part.

Prayer: Lord, show me how to arrive at this place of peace, rest, and quietness with You. My life is full of trivialities and busy-ness -- I need to unpack so that I can make room for You. Help me Lord.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen' Pastor Mike. Today the Lord has really been speaking to me. I have been meditating on the Lord and waiting for some assurance. This is the third message I have heard that changed my day. I will continue to chase after that BLESSED HOPE ... thank you for this message. GOD BLESS!