Sunday, May 14, 2006

Title: The Warrior Is A Worrier / Topic: Being Human

Today’s Reading: 1 Chronicles 22-24; 1 Thessalonians 3

Scripture: 1 Thessalonians 3:5 For this reason, when I could stand it no longer, I sent Timothy to find out about your faith. I was afraid that in some way the tempter might have tempted you and our efforts might have been useless.

Observation: I love Paul's humanness here. I think of Paul as a great man of faith but here he is really stressing about the Thessalonians. I can totally relate to the phrase, "when I could stand it no longer," because there is a burden that a pastor bears for the well-being of his people. Sometimes it consumes you. Paul really cares about them and he is worried.

Application: I'd like to bring out two main points here:
First, worry isn't good but everyone does it. Paul is freaking out so he takes radical action to find out for himself. He sends Timothy to check it out and report back. I know that I worry about things and I feel bad about worrying. But the fact that Paul worried also gives me encouragement.
Second, the Thessalonians would no doubt have communicated to Paul had they known that he was worried about them. I think that all of us affect on our spiritual leaders with a far greater impact than we know. We should be sure that we communicate well with those who look after us spiritually so that they will have no need to wonder (and worry).

Prayer: Lord, thank You for this awesome example of our brother Paul. I am so glad that he shared his human weakness openly so we could relate to what he was going through. Help us to embrace our humanness and allow Your mighty Lordship make up for what we lack. May Your strength be given opportunity to be expressed through our weaknesses.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, worrying is not limited to church leadership, nor parenting. May this day, bring you good news and peace in all areas that cause you concern, and may God's hand move on your behalf today.