Sunday, June 11, 2006

Title: The Leader's Joy / Topic: Faithful Followers

Today’s Reading: Song of Solomon 5; Song of Solomon 6; Song of Solomon 7; Song of Solomon 8; Philippians 1

Scripture: Philippians 1:3-8
3 I thank my God every time I remember you. 4 In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy 5 because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now, 6 being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.
7 It is right for me to feel this way about all of you, since I have you in my heart; for whether I am in chains or defending and confirming the gospel, all of you share in God's grace with me. 8 God can testify how I long for all of you with the affection of Christ Jesus.

Observation: Paul shares his affection for the Philippian believers. They bring him joy because of their "partnership in the gospel." Paul's heart has been knit together with theirs because of the time spent together working for Jesus. Think what they spent their time doing: meeting together and studying the word, praying, worshiping; going out and sharing the gospel by personal witnessing and outdoor preaching; breaking bread and fellowshipping. It doesn't sound that remarkable. It's basically the same things we do in our church family. But they stuck together and hung in there with Paul and that is what touched his heart.

Application: I can totally relate to Paul. I have been blessed with an amazing group of faithful co-laborers in the ministry. When I think of them, I thank God with great joy. Some of these have been with me for five, ten, even fifteen years and more! And they have not only loved Jesus and served Him faithfully, they have loved me and served me faithfully too! That's what amazes and blesses me. Thank You Jesus!

Prayer: Father, I am so grateful for the many faithful men and women You have placed into my life. When I consider my many failings and my many lacks, I am so humbled that these gifted and spiritual people have given of themselves with such steadfastness and excellence of spirit. Lord, pour out blessing on all these who have been such a blessing to me and my bride -- may they be truly drenched in Your blessing on every area of their lives. Help me to lead them well as we powerfully advance together into the great destiny You have for all of us.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments: