Monday, June 26, 2006

Title: Not Bitter But Better / Topic: Joyful Ministry

Today’s Reading: Jonah 1; Jonah 2; Jonah 3; Jonah 4; 2 Timothy 2

Scripture: 2 Timothy 2:24-25
24 And the Lord's servant must not quarrel; instead, he must be kind to everyone, able to teach, not resentful. 25 Those who oppose him he must gently instruct...

Observation: This is a good and simple word for leaders: Don't be a person who quarrels. Some people like a good debate, and in the right place (limited though it may be), I suppose it is OK. But Paul instructs Timothy not to get a quarreling mentality. He urges kindness, gentleness, and patience. Of special note is the phrase "not resentful." There are lots of things that people say and do that could be reasonable cause for resentment to anyone in ministry leadership. But Paul hits the nail on the head with the call to eliminate resentment from the life of a leader. If, as a leader, you allow resentment to remain in your heart, you will be a miserable leader and have a joyless experience.

Application: Put these words into practice. Live apart from those who always engage in arguing. Don't go there. And walk in constant forgiveness toward anyone who attacks. Don't get bitter, but be open to offering a gentle word to help that person find his way. Stay sweet, and life will be sweet.

Prayer: Lord, help us to be so joyful in You that the sourness of others cannot penetrate our hearts. May we expect and even welcome attacks as signs that we are doing something good for God. Make us better and better as leaders and help us to keep our hearts clear before You and others.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's SO important not to live with bitterness. It's also just as important not to live with grief or regrets. We can't help or change what others do to us; all we can change is how we respond to it. It's my choice to let someone else's hurtful actions make me live in depression, grief and regret or not. The same holds true for tragic circumstances that happen to us undeserved. I myself have chosen to live with too much sorrow over the actions and betrayal of others, even after forgiving them. It has cost me dearly because it kept me from fully enjoying all the people in my life who truly love me as well as enjoying activities and what God himself wanted to share with me. Whenever I catch myself falling into this trap I have to make a conscious effort to change my thinking and choose joy. It is vital to "stay sweet" as you said, even when around those who've hurt you and aren't sorry for it a bit.