Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Title: True Word / Topic: The Bible

Today’s Reading: Amos 1; Amos 2; Amos 3; Psalm 80; 2 Timothy 4

Scripture: Amos 1:1 & Timothy 19-22
Amos 1:1 The words of Amos, one of the shepherds of Tekoa — what he saw concerning Israel two years before the earthquake, when Uzziah was king of Judah and Jeroboam son of Jehoash was king of Israel.
2 Timothy 4:19 Greet Priscilla and Aquila and the household of Onesiphorus. 20 Erastus stayed in Corinth, and I left Trophimus sick in Miletus. 21 Do your best to get here before winter. Eubulus greets you, and so do Pudens, Linus, Claudia and all the brothers.
22 The Lord be with your spirit. Grace be with you.

Observation: Today's reading begins with a reference to an earthquake and ends with mentions of a sick friend and winter. This reminds me of the fact that the Bible is true. What I mean is that I believe in the historicity of the Bible. The events and people written about in the Bible are real. The people lived and did what the Bible tells us. The events actually happened as reported. There was an earthquake -- apparently a sizable one because it is used by Amos as a reference point for his prophetic word. Those people experienced real life just as we do. They had earthquakes from time to time just like us. And those events became markers in their lives. I can remember very well where I was when I felt the Loma Prieta earthquake that brought freeways and bridges down in the Bay Area. Can you?

And Paul's friends got sick just like our friends sometimes do. And he wanted Timothy to come before winter. Maybe he simply missed Timothy and wanted his company sooner rather than later. Or maybe he was worried about the coming cold weather and wanted him to bring the cloak mentioned in verse 13 of this chapter! Either way, we can relate to Paul's situation. It rings true.

Application: The word of God is believable and rings true because it is true. Everything I read sounds quite reasonable -- nothing out of the range of plausibility. That encourages me with the veracity of the Word of God. I can trust the word to tell me the truth. About life. About people. About myself. About God.

Prayer: Thank You, Lord, for giving us Your word. I love the way You had it written. It is a masterpiece. Simple and basic so a child can understand. Yet complex and deeper than any sage could ever fully fathom. Lord, You are truly amazing! Thank You for giving us such a rich and blessed book.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments: