Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Title: If Only / Topic: Opportunity

Today’s Reading: Isaiah 46; Isaiah 47; Isaiah 48; Isaiah 49; 1 Peter 5

Scripture: Isaiah 46:17-19
17 This is what the LORD says—
your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel:
"I am the LORD your God,
who teaches you what is best for you,
who directs you in the way you should go.
18 If only you had paid attention to my commands,
your peace would have been like a river,
your righteousness like the waves of the sea.
19 Your descendants would have been like the sand,
your children like its numberless grains;
their name would never be cut off
nor destroyed from before me."

Observation: Hear the longing voice of the Lord: "If only you had paid attention to my commands..." If only. Our Lord is compelled by His love to reach out to us -- to shine His loving-kindness upon us. He so desires to bless us. If only we will listen. If only we will pay attention. If only we will surrender. If only we will obey. "Or do you show contempt for the riches of his kindness, tolerance and patience, not realizing that God's kindness leads you toward repentance?" (Romans 2:4)

Application: We have a wide window of opportunity to turn to God. But it will not be open forever. Isaiah's prophecy is written to people who waited too long and their opportunity had passed. They could have had great blessings (peace, righteousness, descendants, secure future) but because they did not pay attention, they missed those blessings and all the Lord can say is "if only..."

This is sad. But we can still respond. Now -- today! Hear the kindness in God's words, "if only..." He aches for us to respond and follow the ways of life by following Him. Let us receive God's kindness and let it lead us to repentance, and to the life of blessing.

Prayer: Lord, thank You for Your loving-kindness that draws us to seek You. Assist us to pay attention to what You want for us -- to what You want to say to us. Give us ears to hear, hearts to receive, and the will to follow You fully.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I heard Pastor Ted Haggard say one time that the Lord showed him that he was his "fourth choice" to come plant a church in Colorado Springs which focuses on intercessory prayer. Ted asked the Lord "but what if I don't obey". The Lord said, "I have a fifth choice." If onlys are real: We all have them and the Lord knows them all. If only I obey today, I can know God's great joy and freedom. Good word.

Anonymous said...

Like God, there are many parents who have the regretful "If only" statements which they make about their own beloved children. They can see the troubles in their children's lives brought about due to a lack of trust in, respect for, and submission to their wise instruction. And like God, they are willing to receive their children "back into the fold". The love never stops, but unfortunately, there are lost opportunities that can never happen again. I want to be a child that listens and obeys; I haven't always been so, but I want to be. Having been a parent who has had the "IF ONLY" regrets about a child of my own has caused me to know on a much deeper level some of the pain I have given to my Heavenly Father. I never want to do that to Him again. And I want to go on and leave the "If only"'s about my own children behind--- they serve no useful purpose other than to give the3 enemy the victory of keeping me tied to the past in a depressing way that leaves me useless to Him in the here and now. That's another lesson we need to learn; focus on His grace NOW and forget those things which are behind.