Friday, July 28, 2006

Title: The Tender Gift / Topic: Grace

Today’s Reading: Isaiah 53; Isaiah 54; Isaiah 55; Isaiah 56; 2 Peter 2

Scripture: Isaiah 53:4-6
4 Surely he took up our infirmities
and carried our sorrows,
yet we considered him stricken by God,
smitten by him, and afflicted.
5 But he was pierced for our transgressions,
he was crushed for our iniquities;
the punishment that brought us peace was upon him,
and by his wounds we are healed.
6 We all, like sheep, have gone astray,
each of us has turned to his own way;
and the LORD has laid on him
the iniquity of us all.

Observation: These verses touch me as I read them. They speak of the first thing that we who are redeemed have in common. It's our sin and brokenness. And our loving Lord saw our brokenness and in His compassion, He took it upon Himself. Our infirmities, sorrows, transgressions, iniquities, punishment, wounds -- he bore them all. These things would have crushed us -- they crushed Him. I am so grateful for the willingness of God to spare me from what I had coming and take my consequences upon Himself.

Application: This is the one attitude that marks a true Christian: the knowledge that I am a sinner -- broken, unworthy, without hope apart from God. That knowledge produces two things: a humility and great gratefulness for what our Lord has done.

(Those who think themselves "good people" cannot truly appreciate or receive this precious gift. Good people don't need saving. I have had people tell me that they did not need anyone to die for them. How wrong they are -- and how sad that their pride keeps them separated from their Redeemer.)

Prayer: Lord, thank You for saving me. Thank You for Jesus Who took the bitter harvest of my brokenness upon Himself, and gave me His righteousness, peace, and joy in the Holy Spirit. I want to be used to help so many others who need to understand this amazing gift. Help me, Lord, to discover ways to break through all the negative objections that people have that keep them from receiving You. Make me a soul winner and help Your people to bring in a great harvest.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments: