Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Title: Prayer Prerequisites / Topic: Focus

Today’s Reading: Isaiah 43; Isaiah 44; Isaiah 45; 1 Peter 4

Scripture: 1 Peter 4:7 The end of all things is near. Therefore be clear minded and self-controlled so that you can pray.

Observation: "Clear minded and self-controlled" -- Peter tells us that these are characteristics we need to implement in order to have effective prayer. I think of all the muddled thinking that people have -- and even of the confusion and distraction that I often deal with. Being clear minded requires a real focus on what is truly important when dozens of details clamor for my attention. I think it is the self-control that is the means of attaining the clear mindedness. And self-control is one of the fruit of the Spirit listed in Galatians 5. Therefore, this is not attained by mere human activity -- you don't just gut it out. This kind of self-control is a product of surrendering to God's activity and letting the Spirit have His way in our hearts and minds.

Application: Surrender to God. Pray in the Holy Spirit and spend time in the word to reinforce Godly priorities. The impetus for all of this is in the first phrase of the verse "the end of all things is near." I believe that this to is true -- we are in the last days -- and that should motivate us to get serious about attaining a "clear minded and self-controlled" focus. Let's all get serious and seek to clear our minds and control ourselves so we can pray effectively for a lost world that is in its last throes.

Prayer: Lord, help me to discipline my mind and thoughts to produce the kind of focus that allows me the clarity of thought and self-control to concentrate and labor in prayer. I am weak and wimpy in prayer, but I want to change. I know that it is important for me and all of Your people to take it to the next level in our intercession and our petition in prayer. Lord, help us to do what we need to do to become powerful in prayer so that we can be the force that stands in the gap during these days of difficulty in our world.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree tyhsat the entire Body of Christ needs to be involved in more intercessory prayer. I think most Christians would agree with that statement. The problem is that it's much easier to discuss the Bible or to give testimonies or even "words from the Lord" thsan it is to sustain a time of intercessory prayer. We all have such short attention spans. We need to be willing to press through the uncomfortability factor and learn to engage in this practice. We need to be willing to stop doing what's easy and be "self-controlled" enough to do what's right. And this is right!

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Pastor Mike, for that insight; especially on being clear-minded. Indeed, I have been overwhelmed lately by my own thoughts - my mind has been muddled, full of things that make no sense and that confuse me. So thank you God, for Pastor Mike's devotion and for sharing his insight with us. It was meant for me today. And help me, Lord, to clear my mind so that I can pray! Amen.