Saturday, August 12, 2006

Title: Stop The Stress / Topic: Faith

Today's Reading: Jeremiah 10; Jeremiah 11; Jeremiah 12; John 14

Scripture: John 14:1 "Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me..."

Observation: There is much to be troubled about. Wars and rumors of wars. Famine, earthquakes, pestilence... I mean, there is a bunch of trouble in our world. High gas prices, political controversies, terrorist plots, social upheaval. Plus we have our own personal crises: financial problems, marriages in trouble, dysfunctional grown children, job trouble. It can be downright depressing.

Application: Jesus gives us a simple answer. Some people would say it's simplistic. Maybe so. I'll take simplistic any day, as long as it works.

(Think of those who have no belief in God, what do they have to hold on to?)

"Do not let your heart be troubled." I take that to mean that I am not to permit myself to get stressed by what would normally stress me. I must stop the worry and fear by taking hold of my emotions by an act of my will. I have seen people who just get completely caught up in the worry and fear -- like riding a wave that's coming over them. Jesus says, "don't go there."

Bottom line: I must use my will to control my emotions. Stop worry and fear, stop fretting -- decide not to be caught up in the wave of trouble -- and choose to trust. Trust in the Lord. Let Him be the One that I rely upon, instead of myself.

Prayer:
Lord, You are my shelter in the time of storm. You know my tendency to bear many burdens and carry many stresses. Yet You call me to give them to You -- to not try to bear them myself. Thank You. Help me to remember that it is a choice -- a decision of my will -- to stress or not to stress. Help me to choose to surrender my troubles to You and to simply trust that You are able to take care of all the things that trouble or threaten me.
This I pray in Jesus' name, Amen.

1 comment:

Cynthia Stipech said...

Simple? Yes. Easy? No. But it gets easier as we practice releasing our troubles to God and trusting Him. Choosing to let the Spirit control our thoughts and the decisions of our will (what the Bible calls self-control) does take practice. Thank you for the reminder that I don't need to be stressed unless I choose to.