Friday, August 11, 2006

Title: Well Intentioned But Weak / Topic: Character & Grace

Today’s Reading: Jeremiah 7; Jeremiah 8; Jeremiah 9; John 13

Scripture: John 13:37-38
37 Peter asked, "Lord, why can't I follow you now? I will lay down my life for you."
38 Then Jesus answered, "Will you really lay down your life for me? I tell you the truth, before the rooster crows, you will disown me three times!

Observation: Peter thought he would take a strong stand for Jesus, even to the point of death. But Jesus questions Peter's assertions, "Will you really lay down your life for me?" And Jesus tells Peter what will actually happen as Peter will be challenged and will disavow any knowledge of Jesus, doing the opposite of his claims.

Application: I can relate to Peter. I want to take a stand. I think I am strong enough. But the Lord knows what I am really capable of, in spite of my assertions or intentions. I appreciate the fact that Jesus doesn't take Peter's coming denials as rejection. He knows that Peter's weaknesses are something that have been a struggle for him and Jesus cares for Peter in spite of his failures.

Prayer: Lord, You know me inside and out. You know the desire of my heart and also the weakness of my duplicity. I want to do better than I actually do. It's nice to know that You don't reject me, but that You knew in advance just how inconsistent I would be and You called me to Your service anyway. Help me to embrace the disciplines that will assist me to grow in spiritual power and consistency so that my deeds more closely line up with my desires.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

1 comment:

Cynthia Stipech said...

I so relate to your comments. I don't know anyone who lives up to everything they want to be and do. I loved your point that Jesus, knowing what Peter would do, didn't take it as personal rejection. That's a lesson I need to take from Jesus; that when people I love and care about betray me in some way, I don't take it personally but understand that they are struggling with weaknesses. Since I have my own that I struggle with, this should engender compassion in me toward them.