Friday, September 08, 2006

Title: Be Careful What You Ask For / Topic: Vows

Today’s Reading: Jeremiah 42; Jeremiah 43; Jeremiah 44; Psalm 48; Revelation 13

Scripture: Jeremiah 42:3-6, 19-22
3 Pray that the LORD your God will tell us where we should go and what we should do."
4 "I have heard you," replied Jeremiah the prophet. "I will certainly pray to the LORD your God as you have requested; I will tell you everything the LORD says and will keep nothing back from you."
5 Then they said to Jeremiah, "May the LORD be a true and faithful witness against us if we do not act in accordance with everything the LORD your God sends you to tell us. 6 Whether it is favorable or unfavorable, we will obey the LORD our God, to whom we are sending you, so that it will go well with us, for we will obey the LORD our God..."
19 "O remnant of Judah, the LORD has told you, 'Do not go to Egypt.' Be sure of this: I warn you today 20 that you made a fatal mistake when you sent me to the LORD your God and said, 'Pray to the LORD our God for us; tell us everything he says and we will do it.' 21 I have told you today, but you still have not obeyed the LORD your God in all he sent me to tell you. 22 So now, be sure of this: You will die by the sword, famine and plague in the place where you want to go to settle."

Observation: These people asked Jeremiah to seek God on their behalf and made a vow to follow whatever answer Jeremiah brought. But when the answer came, and they didn't like it, they just decided not to follow it! They broke their vow because the word didn't fit their predetermined desire.

Application: Be careful what you ask for. If I tell the Lord I will follow Him no matter what, I had better be prepared for an interesting trip. God is not a tame animal. He does not do tricks on command. He commands, we do the tricks. At least that's how it's supposed to work. So don't make rash statements. Count the cost before you commit. And once you commit, keep your word.

Prayer: Dear Heavenly Father, You call me to follow You -- to take up my cross daily -- to not turn back. Help me to have the courage, dedication, and strength of character to do just that. I want to keep all my promises to You. May it be so.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

1 comment:

Cynthia Stipech said...

Such an important principle to learn. Scriptures throughout the Bible speak of the importance of keeping one's vows and the importance God places on our word. It gives us insight into his character. God likes straight-shooters who take full responsibility for what they promise.