Sunday, September 03, 2006

Title: Good Fear / Topic: Knowing God

Today’s Reading: Ezekiel 20; Ezekiel 21; Psalm 111; Revelation 8

Scripture: Psalm 111:10
The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom;
all who follow his precepts have good understanding.
To him belongs eternal praise.

Observation: "The fear of the Lord" -- what does this phrase mean? I generally think of fear as a bad thing. I surely don't want to be motivated or dominated by fear. But "the fear of the Lord" must be a good thing. I think it is a holy awe that comes from a deep knowledge of just Who God is.

Application: If I understand God, I will live wisely. If I truly know the dramatic breadth of His influence, power, awareness, justice, etc., it would cause me to tremble in my boots. God sees and knows all. But if I surrender to this awesome God and submit to His power and will, then I am welcomed into His Kingdom and I receive the privilege of receiving His blessings.

Bottom line: To walk in fear of the Lord is not to be afraid that if I step out of line, He will zap me. No, it is to be aware of my own tendency to step out of line which causes me to miss out on the amazing blessings of living in line with His purposes. I don't want to miss out.

Prayer: Lord, help! I want to know You, and to fear You as I should. I am a man fraught with failings that lead me to things other than You. Help me not to settle for good things, but to get the best: You. Change my nature by the amazing power of Your love.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

2 comments:

Cynthia Stipech said...

I think the "fear of the Lord" is a good thing but I think the fear is FEAR (terror of). That is "the beginning"of wisdom. In other words, I think we have to first understand God's power, authority and the fact that He can punish us if we step out of line before we can go on to understand His love, grace and forgiveness. God never intends for us to stay at the beginning place of knowing the fear of the Lord. He intends us to start there, so we have proper respect for Him, and move to an intimate relationship based on love and passion.

Anonymous said...

Amen' Pastor! I believe this is so important. Me and some friends were just talking about this topic. Praise the Lord! God Bless you and keep in touch. God Bless

In His Service