Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Title: The Watchman / Topic: Leadership Responsibility

Today’s Reading: Ezekiel 33; Ezekiel 34; Ezekiel 35; Revelation 18

Scripture: Ezekiel 33:7-9
7 "Son of man, I have made you a watchman for the house of Israel; so hear the word I speak and give them warning from me. 8 When I say to the wicked, 'O wicked man, you will surely die,' and you do not speak out to dissuade him from his ways, that wicked man will die for his sin, and I will hold you accountable for his blood. 9 But if you do warn the wicked man to turn from his ways and he does not do so, he will die for his sin, but you will have saved yourself.

Observation: God lays it out for Ezekiel. He has been given a responsibility to God's people -- he is a watchman. I think watchman is a pretty good definition of the prophetic ministry: someone who has an excellent vantage point to see looming threats and communicates those threats to the people. His vantage point is his relationship with God. He sees because God shows him.

Application: I am also a watchman, as are all who are in positions of spiritual responsibility in the Kingdom of God. I have to be on the lookout for what might be coming that could do damage to those in my care. There are three basic responsibilities:
  1. Keep the channel open with God. This speaks of an ongoing, living, vibrant relationship where God speaks and I hear reliably. I can't be casual about this -- people are counting on me to hear from God. God's voice is my early warning system. Without it my work is ineffective.
  2. Pay attention. I have to be on the lookout for threats and trends that could impact those God has entrusted to me. I can't slack off or forget. And I have to pay attention to the lives of the people themselves because sometimes the danger comes not from without, but from within.
  3. Speak the truth boldly and persuasively. Once God shows me something, I must communicate with skill and power so that my message is clear and impactful. And sometimes these messages can be challenging and hard to receive. It takes courage to say something that people don't want to hear.

Bottom line: Being in spiritual leadership is something has great demands: I must be diligent in my relationship with Jesus, give serious attentiveness to the flock and environment, and work to communicate effectively.

Prayer: Heavenly Father, You are the Great Shepherd. I want to fulfill the responsibilities You have entrusted to my care in Your service. Assist and strengthen me to do it well. Forgive me for the times I have lost focus or become distracted or discouraged. Help me for the sake of those I lead that I may bring the fullest blessing possible into their lives by being a true and faithful shepherd like You.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

1 comment:

Cynthia Stipech said...

I think the message to Ezekiel has applicability to all believers as well as to spiritual leadership. The application to leadership is very clear but in a larger sense all of us carry some responsibility to keep watch for each other. The New Testament agrees with this when it says that we need to warn someone if we see them caught in a fault (Gal. 6:1)