Sunday, October 08, 2006

Title: Dead, But OK! / Topic: Eternal Perspective

Today's Reading: Ezra 9; Ezra 10; Psalm 131; Luke 21

Scripture:
Luke 21:16-18
16 You will be betrayed even by parents, brothers, relatives and friends, and they will put some of you to death. 17 All men will hate you because of me. 18 But not a hair of your head will perish.

Observation:
Wait a minute! Jesus tells them that some of them will be killed, then He says "But not a hair of your head will perish." What does He mean by "not a hair of your head will perish" if some of them will actually be killed? Obviously, He is talking about something other than physical injury or damage. It's like saying, "you'll be killed, but you won't be harmed." So what does Jesus mean? He is talking in eternal terms. Because His followers have their eternal destiny assured, whatever happens here doesn't shake that.

Application:
This clearly tells me that I still have some re-calibrating to do. The idea of being killed but not harmed is definitely foreign to me. So I need to refocus on heaven, keeping my head up and my gaze on Him. And I must keep it in clear focus that as long as I am in the hands of the Almighty, nothing that anyone else can do to me, can really harm me in the ultimate sense.

Prayer:
Thank You, Lord. It's good to be in Your hands and know that You have been preparing a place for me where You are. My destiny is secure and this world is not my home. Keep me strong in the knowledge that whatever happens, I will be with You for all eternity.
This I pray in Jesus' name, Amen.

1 comment:

Cynthia Stipech said...

It is such a good perspective that you present in your blog. Even if the worst happens to us here on earth, we will be spending an eternity with God. Nothing on this earth is permanent; even family. Our only true security is in the Lord.