Saturday, October 07, 2006

Title: A Good Question / Topic: Authority

Today’s Reading: Ezra 7; Ezra 8; Luke 20

Scripture: Luke 20:1-2
1 One day as he was teaching the people in the temple courts and preaching the gospel, the chief priests and the teachers of the law, together with the elders, came up to him. 2 "Tell us by what authority you are doing these things," they said. "Who gave you this authority?"

Observation: This really is a good question that the Jewish leaders asked. If somebody is doing something without the proper authority, there's a problem. They wanted to know where Jesus' authority came from. Unfortunately, they were not really interested in the answer to this question. They only wanted to get rid of Him and were looking for any cause to do it. That's why Jesus challenges them and ultimately refuses to answer. But it is still a good question.

Application: The authority that God gave Jesus to bring His ministry is the same authority that Jesus has given to us. “As the Father has sent me, I am sending you,” Jesus said. Understanding and operating in that authority can give me a greater confidence than just acting on my own, even with the best of intentions. I need to be more mindful that I have been sent and commissioned by Jesus to be an ambassador from heaven to earth. And not just me, but everyone who is truly saved by God.

Prayer: Lord, help me to walk with confidence as Jesus did, knowing that You sent Him. May I be ever mindful of your commissioning and empowering as I encounter those You bring across my path. Thank You that I am not on my own, but that You are with me always. May I live boldly and confidently as Your ambassador.
This I pray in Jesus' name, Amen.

1 comment:

Cynthia Stipech said...

If we understood the authority Jesus gave us we would be accomplishing much more for the kingdom.