Sunday, October 01, 2006

Title: Three Quick Points / Topic: No Compromise

Today’s Reading: Zechariah 10; Zechariah 11; Zechariah 12; Psalm 126; Luke 14

I am sharing three quick points out of three passages from Luke 14.

#1 Title: Looking Wrongly At Jesus
Scripture: Luke 14:1, 26-27, 35-35
Luke 14:1 One Sabbath, when Jesus went to eat in the house of a prominent Pharisee, he was being carefully watched.

Observation/Application: Here Jesus is carefully watched, but for all of the wrong reasons. Rather than observing Jesus to learn and be transformed or healed or blessed, they have evil judgments in mind and are looking to find some picky sabbath violation that they can use to get rid of Him. What a shame that these people's self-imposed blindness prevents them from seeing even what they are carefully watching: this is their Savior, their only hope for salvation, and they can't see it. It's truly a pity.

Prayer: Lord, help my brokenness to not get in the way of seeing You for what You really are and being open to receive all that You have for me. This I pray in Jesus' name, Amen.

#2 Title: More Love For Him
Scripture: Luke 14:26 "If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters—yes, even his own life—he cannot be my disciple. 27 And anyone who does not carry his cross and follow me cannot be my disciple.

Observation/Application: This scripture always convicts me. There is a demand that Jesus makes clear: we are not to be too attached to our life here. In comparison to our life with Him, we are to hate everything else! I need to love Him more and everything else less.

Prayer: Lord, help!

#3 Title: Mmmm -- Spicy!
Scripture: Luke 14:34 "Salt is good, but if it loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? 35 It is fit neither for the soil nor for the manure pile; it is thrown out.
"He who has ears to hear, let him hear."

Observation/Application: Jesus doesn't want bland followers. He wants us to be salty -- spicy! When we try to blend in, we become bland in whatever it is we're in. Don't go there! The unsalty salt doesn't even rate being in the manure pile. (Yikes! How low can you go?)

Prayer: Lord, keep me salty for You. Help me to bring Your amazing flavor to every environment I come into.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

1 comment:

Cynthia Stipech said...

I loved this blog! What short but insightful and deep applications of those verses. And you were able to make your points so succinctly! I'm totally impressed with your writing as well as with your theological adeptness.