Saturday, September 30, 2006

Title: Make Every Effort / Topic: Spiritual Intensity

Today’s Reading: Zechariah 7; Zechariah 8; Zechariah 9; Luke 13

Scripture: Luke 13:24 "Make every effort to enter through the narrow door, because many, I tell you, will try to enter and will not be able to."

Observation: The narrow door. Jesus tells us to "make every effort to enter through" it. He tells us that it's not easy. Many try and fail.

Application: I just assume that when people are sincere and make up their minds to try to come to God, they will be able to. But apparently, I am wrong. Jesus says many will try and fail! The imperative command that Jesus gives is to "make every effort!" There is no room for a casual approach, or a "someday" attitude. "Go for it with all you've got!" That's what Jesus is telling us. Apparently, it's a hard target to hit, so don't stop working on it.

Prayer: Lord, I have much to learn about You and Your kingdom. I do want to be one who is truly making every effort to enter through the narrow door. Help me to understand how to do this and to leave behind the unnecessary weights and baggage that hole me back from doing this.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

1 comment:

Cynthia Stipech said...

I think the "casual" attitude of many Christians comes from taking God's grace for granted. We tend to assume that because He is forgiving that we don't really have to watch our thoughts, words or actions. But God also stresses repentance as a condition of forgiveness (which means change) and obedience to His word. We get the "sloppy agape" view in our minds and don't put effort into being transformed into His image.