Monday, September 25, 2006

Title: The Indiscriminate Farmer / Topic: Evangelism

Today’s Reading: Ezra 2; Ezra 3; Luke 8

Scripture: Luke 8:4-8
4 While a large crowd was gathering and people were coming to Jesus from town after town, he told this parable: 5 "A farmer went out to sow his seed. As he was scattering the seed, some fell along the path; it was trampled on, and the birds of the air ate it up. 6 Some fell on rock, and when it came up, the plants withered because they had no moisture. 7 Other seed fell among thorns, which grew up with it and choked the plants. 8 Still other seed fell on good soil. It came up and yielded a crop, a hundred times more than was sown."
When he said this, he called out, "He who has ears to hear, let him hear."

Observation: The farmer sows his seed. And as any good farmer does, he observes the soil as he sows. Now I'm not a farmer, but is seems to me that most farmers would only spread their seed on the good areas of soil where the seed had the best opportunity to produce. But the farmer in this story doesn't do it that way. He distributes his seed everywhere equally. Why? Because this seed is the Gospel and it is imperative that all soil gets an opportunity to receive the seed -- even soil that looks hard, or rocky, or thorny. I think that even among these apparently unfruitful soils, there may be a patch here or a patch there where the seed will go in and take root and produce. But even if not, this farmer is determined that no one could ever say, "You missed this soil over here! You never gave it a chance!"

Application: I need to learn from this farmer. I only want to put the seed out where I think it will grow. I don't want to waste my time sharing the Gospel where obviously people won't say "yes!" Only problem with this is how can I really know? It is only my pride that makes me think I can tell in advance where the seed will produce. I have too much confidence in my own ESP (Expert Seed Prognostication) and not enough confidence in the Seed itself. Plus, when I say "I don't want to waste my time," what's up with that?!? Who am I kidding? My time, my whole life, belongs to God anyway. And it's not as if I spend every moment so wisely. (Watching TV, playing computer games, surfing eBay... these aren't exactly the epitome of careful time management.) So I need to recalibrate my thinking. I need to share the Gospel every chance I get. I do not like this idea. I'm actually not wanting to write this because it means I have to change -- I have to get much bolder -- I have to be more evangelistic. But I guess if it's good enough for the Sower in Jesus' story, it's good enough for me. Lord, help me!

Prayer: Father, I believe. Help me in my unbelief. As intimidating as this thought is for me, Lord, I know it is right. Thank You for speaking to my heart this morning. Help me to see the opportunities all around me to spread Your seed onto every soil, regardless of my opinion of it. And, Lord of the Harvest, bring increased fruitfulness into my life. Help me to win souls. Give me more souls for Your Kingdom.
This I pray in Jesus’ name, Amen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Unlike regular farmers, God just asks us to scatter the seed indiscriminately. He himself is responsible for the harvest; we are just to sow everywhere. We only harvest when he leads us too.